Brownie Updates

Brownie Updates
this is the life

Tuesday, August 3, 2021

Day 7: Mweka Camp to Mweka Gate

 One thing I loved about this trek was that we did a loop of sorts. We hiked a different way up and down. It was awesome to see something different while we hiked. Day 7 we woke up after it had rained most of the night. I had slept great but was in no hurry to get out of the tent, except that I wanted to get down the mountain to shower:) It was wet for most the hike out. Luckily it was a fast 6 miles to the finish. We needed to climb from 10,171ft down to 5,900ft. The only bummer was that it was slippery and we had to be careful.

Taking a sign picture as we leave Mweka Camp.


The weather cleared up a couple hours into our downhill hike. It was still slippery but we could at least ditch the rain gear.

We made it!!!!!!! It was long. I was tired. But we did it. Just so happy to make it down another mountain in one piece.


This is the face of a girl that just wants to get to her shower.
On the bus headed back to Moshi.

Overall I really enjoyed the trek. My only two real complaints were the food and sleeping in a backpacking tent. I have been super spoiled on other treks I have done and climbing in and out of a tent to go the bathroom in the middle of the night is not my favorite thing. And the food was fine it was just different and not my favorite. Most people probably wouldn't be bothered by it.

I hate when people ask me how hard it was. Is there a scale for such a thing? As far as treks go the summit night was the hardest thing I have done mentally and physically on a trek. It was just long, cold and very high. The altitude plays a huge role in how hard something is. That being said it was very doable. I am glad I was able to go and do this. I have been blessed with a body that enjoys movement. My mind and body tolerate physical tasks pretty well. I still think to this day nothing has been as physically challenging as playing high school basketball my freshman year. Just the increase in demand that was placed on my body does not compare to what you do on a trek. Part of it is experience and part is probably fitness. I don't know. I just know I can't say it was the hardest thing I have ever done, but I can say the summit night was harder than Everest Base Camp. But when comparing the two treks side by side overall Everest Base Camp was probably more challenging. It was so long, so cold, and we spent a lot longer time period above 15,000 ft. I will say I don't feel like I need to go back to Africa but I would go back and hike in Nepal again in a heartbeat. The Himalayas are maybe the most amazing mountains I have ever seen. The two experiences are so different it probably isn't fair to compare them. I am very grateful I had the chance to go and give this mountain a try. I am truly blessed. And my shower was amazing!!!!!!

No comments:

Audrey's Dance Recital

 How do you win the hearts of all the Brown's? Have the cutest niece ever perform in a dance recital. It was so fun to watch Audreys lit...