Brownie Updates

Brownie Updates
this is the life

Thursday, August 9, 2018

Big Sandy Lake

Awhile ago I learned from one of my students mom about a backpacking trip in Wyoming called Cirque of the Towers in the Wind River Range. I put it on my list of things to do but hadn't gotten to it yet. Finally this summer I did. Can we say AMAZING!!!!! It was an awesome little trip and one I would highly recommend for people of all ages and abilities.

The trailhead is 5-6 hours from Provo. You drive out of Pinedale Wyoming. The trail is well traveled and in great condition. It is super easy to get to the first lake. There are tons of hiking options once you get to Big Sandy Lake, which is 6 miles in. We met people doing day hikes, people staying in the area for two weeks, and people backpacking the continental divide. Lots of different skill, ages, and body types. Really an area that pretty much anyone could enjoy.

Amber and I hiked in to Big Sandy and choose to leave camp there and then do day hikes and explore the area. This was a great option. I haven't been backpacking for three years so it was a good re-introduction to carrying all my own CRAP!

I wanted a picture that showed all my patches on my bag. My Aunt Nancy graciously sewed them on for me. They look so good. I love them! Yes my bag is as heavy as it looks.
  The start of the hike. My shoulders were already hurting.
It was a very hot afternoon. We were grateful the trail was pretty flat. We went slightly uphill for 6 miles. Very doable.
 And we were next to a river the entire time.
Even though it was an easy hike we were happy when we saw the lake. Our shoulders were feeling the pain.

Big Sandy Lake was actually very large.
We had to find a place to camp and set up for the night.
 I was pretty excited to have my pack off.
 It is a beautiful valley.
Once we were all set up it was dinner time. We were surrounded by beauty.
 After we ate and brushed our teeth it was time to hang our packs. I was a little nervouse about this because I have never hung my own pack before. That sounds ridiculous but it was also the truth. I have always backpacked with boys who can do it. I can report that Amber and I hung our packs with no trouble. It was awesome. I was very excited!
It was a great first day of our trip!

No comments:

Audrey's Dance Recital

 How do you win the hearts of all the Brown's? Have the cutest niece ever perform in a dance recital. It was so fun to watch Audreys lit...