Brownie Updates

Brownie Updates
this is the life

Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Gorakshep to Dingboche

So we were supposed to wake up at 5am and summit Kala Patthar before heading to Dingboche. That would have meant waking up at 5am, hiking in -20 degrees Fahrenheit, wearing a head lamp, and going straight uphill. Everyone in our group decided it wasn't worth it. Too dark and too cold. It was funny of the 30 or so people staying in our tea house only two people decided to summit Kala Patthar. I think if it had been warmer I would have done it but at this point in the journey i had no interest. So we got to sleep in and not worry about breakfast until 8am. That was nice. It was also great because today would be all downhill!!!!! We started the morning off with a herd of yaks!
The yaks and naks have the most beautiful area to roam.
This was a day of absolute amazing views. over and over all day I could not believe how beautiful the Himalayas are.
 Hiking down is so much easier at the high elevation.
With every step you get more oxygen and your start to feel great again.
 My team looks so little in the midst of all the giant mountains.
 Following my people.
 The VIEWS!
 I love me some cairns.
 It's me.


 It was exciting as we got closer to Dingboche. We ended up on the ridge we hiked for our acclimatization hike days before.
 More flags and cairns.
 We are almost to our bed for the night.
 The clear sky and the mountains are the best. This picture is crazy because I am taking a picture of a very tall mountain but I am standing at 15,000ft. It is so crazy to think how high the mountain are.
 We had heard multiple trekkers talk about the cafe in Dingboche. They mentioned that it had free wifi and the best treats on the trek. We couldn't wait to try it.
It definitely looked more western. It also had the best hot chocolate on the trek. I meant to bring hot chocolate and totally spaced it. It was soo disappointing every time I tried to order it. I finally stopped trying. Dingboche had good hot chocolate.
 We hung out t the cafe until dinner time and then walked back in the dark on very frozen paths. It was a fun evening and nice to meet new people at the cafe.

It was also New Years Eve. Our team was the only group at the tea house so we were able to hang out by the fire and enjoy the evening. They refueled the fire for New Years Eve. That was awesome. We visited and hung out until we couldn't stay awake any longer. I think that was probably between 9:30 and 10.
Hiking downhill had been pretty easy. I could tell my calves were going to be sore but I was excited to be back at 14,000 ft and breathing a little easier.

No comments:

Audrey's Dance Recital

 How do you win the hearts of all the Brown's? Have the cutest niece ever perform in a dance recital. It was so fun to watch Audreys lit...