Brownie Updates

Brownie Updates
this is the life

Saturday, August 13, 2011

I just couldn't be the girl taking photos at the end



(Me and Samanda all nice and sweaty at the end of the race)
So why oh why do you sign-up for a half-marathon that you have not even trained for. I mean I printed off a training schedule 12 weeks ago, but I never signed up for the race. Which in LaNell world means you are not really committed. I have been running a couple of times a week all summer. Mostly 5k distances because it is so nice and comfortable. I ran 5.75 miles once, that was my longest run in two years. Now it is not like I just sit around. I have been biking, playing soccer, and going to the gym but not really much running. None of my runs were done outside. Not even one. I love my treadmill and the TV right in front of it. It is the only way to run.

(Seriously needed to walk around for a bit. The look of agony it is a little dramatized)
So back to the run. Sam and Amanda signed up for the race when I was supposed to. So they were committed. Then I talked to them about the half-marathon and they encouraged me to sign-up but for obvious reasons I was hesitant. Then Amanda said, "well if you don't run can you come take pictures for us at the finish line." As pathetic as it was that is what got my thinking... I am a PE teacher for crying out loud I don't want to be the one taking pictures at the finish line. I am supposed to be an example of someone who attempts to maintain an active and healthy lifestyle. So there you have it I signed up Friday night and ran my little heart out today. Thanks to Dan we still had a camera man at the finish line.

(me finishing the race I was in serious pain!)
While running I only cursed the sport about a billion times. I walked the entire uphill section. Something about hills I just don't believe they were meant to be run up (it is against my own personal philosophy). Other than that it wasn't terrible. My joints were hurting pretty bad, especially my hips and right knee but it was bearable. It hurt if I walked or jogged (let's be honest I was never really running) so I decided I might as well jog.

(I was sort of smiling by the time we were ready to head home)
The weather was great. The people were friendly. They had yummy fruit at the finish line. All positives.

(enjoying my favorite fruit, WATERMELON!)
The really big negative was that we only got a t-shirt. A cotton t-shirt. That is a little on the ghetto side. Even 5k races use technical shirts sometimes. I was a little bitter about that.

(At Cafe Rio with our t-shirts on)
Afterwards we celebrated at Cafe Rio and went swimming. Overall not a bad day. I also still played soccer last night. After the last half-marathon I ran I told myself I would not do that again the night before a big event. Oh well I am glad I did. I was a little more tight today but in the end it is worth it because I LOVE soccer and I definitely don't feel that way about running. I am still wondering what it feels like to have the runner's high because this girl has never felt it! In fact I don't think it exists.

3 comments:

Nancy Webb said...

WOW, congratulations to all three of you! I am impressed. I stayed home and picked the squash, cucumbers, and even a couple of tomatoes and peppers. Sam and Amanda had better come over and get some. I had better start doing some more exercise or I will definitely be very sorry.

Muriel said...

If you're going to do a half marathon it needs to be the Women's Pink Half in Park City. Quite the swag, and awesome food plus hot guys in suits and pink ties at the finish line to congratulate you (at least I'm told, I'll find out on Oct. 8th)

Muriel said...

Oh, and Congratulations on finishing! That's still a major accomplishment. And as far as the runner's high, I usually don't get it until I'm done. Last week we did 9.5 miles. When I was in the shower, I think "I love running" came out of my mouth. One could only be high to utter those words.

Audrey's Dance Recital

 How do you win the hearts of all the Brown's? Have the cutest niece ever perform in a dance recital. It was so fun to watch Audreys lit...