Brownie Updates

Brownie Updates
this is the life

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

The trek begins!!!!

I have a bucket list on my phone. Unfortunately it gets longer and longer all the time. Machu Picchu made the list while I was backpacking Europe. I kept seeing photos of it pop up in my Instagram and I knew I needed to do it. I love backpacking, well at least after it is over I love it. I do love the way it allows me to explore and see new places. Seeing Machu Picchu seemed like it would be best via hiking.

Amber and I started looking at prices in January. We soon learned that we were too late to get permits for the classic Inca Trail, a total bummer for me, but that there were some very great and affordable alternatives. After doing research we decided the Lares Valley Tour was a good fit for us. We booked through SAS travel and ended up having a great time.

I copied the itinerary off the SAS website so I have the details!

Day 1: Cusco – Urubamba – Pumahuanca Valley – P´acchayoq - Cuyoc campsite

Our private bus leaves Cusco at 05.40am for a scenic drive through the Sacred Valley, passing through Chincheros and stopping in the town of Urubamba, (2,700 masl) for a brief toilet break and the chance to buy any last minute snacks, water, etc, Small packed breakfast is served here. 

 Departing Urubamba around 07:15, we have a further 20 minutes drive to the beginning of the Pumahuanca Valley, land of the famous white corn crops and the Chicha, the Inca´s favorite corn beer. This is the place where we will meet our horses and handlers, (arrieros), and trek staff.


 All of our required equipment will be carried by mules and horses. 


We commence our hike through this beautiful polylepis qeuñas Valley in the Andes with a gentle switchback ascent on a gravel path from 2,800 mt to 3,600 mt with stunning views of the surrounding valley and mountains.





  
4 hours walk to the Inca complex of Inca–Kancha for a guided visit, and where we stop for our first lunch. Our expert cook will indulge you with delicious Peruvian dishes.
















Time to relax or a little nap, Continuing afterward along the way you will be able to observe native trees of qeuñas, eucaliptus, then we reach a small Andean community of P´accha, spectacular mountain landscapes, herds of llamas, alpacas, sheeps and goats. 










Then final 2 hours further we will reach a series of small waterfalls and beautiful campsite named Cuyoc, .. our first campsite at 4,000 masl.




B,L,D - Snacks
Camping
4,000m/13123ft
2,800m/9186ft
approx 14km (8.77 miles)
7 hours

Day one was an absolutely amazing hike. It was all uphill but our guide kept us at what I would call a pretty slow pace. I was actually really worried about backpacking in a group because I am not in as good of shape as I normally in. About 10 minutes into the hike I realized I was more prepared than everyone in our group, except Amber. We both hike a ton. I loved our group. We had our guide Hernan, Nahid from Bangladesh, Tiffany a NP from LA, Mike a medic in the Canadian military, Lord a EMT form Canada, and Amber and myself. Amber and I had the most hiking experience and had done the most hiking recently. We also felt great because we are used to having to pack all of our gear. It was so nice to hike such a long distance with a small day pack. The first day the hike was all uphill. Many members of our group struggled with the elevation as well as the physical exertion. The guide and myself actually ended up carrying backpacks for two of our group members because they were really struggling. The scenery more than made up for the difficulty of the hike. The lares valley was absolutely breath taking.

The valley we hiked through was surrounded by the most magnificent peaks. They seemed so high but as we hiked up and up we got really close to them. We passed through rural villages that live the same way they have for hundreds of years. We saw small gardens and herds of llamas and sheep.

We learned that it costs money to use the mountain bathrooms and that you have to always have your own toilet paper. We were also hiking close to another tour company and so it was fin to meet some more new people and switch places along the trail. 

I stumbled into camp after a long day on the trail and smelled the food and realized I was going to be sick. Not just a little sick but really sick. I spent the night going the bathroom and throwing up. Definitely not how I wanted to start my trek but thankfully it was somewhat manageable. It did make for a long cold night. I have never had my stomach so angry at me in my entire life. I am not sure what caused it. Luckily Amber had brought an antibiotic for travelers diarrhea and I was able to start that the next day.

I skipped dinner and climbed in my tent and suffered through the night. After I threw up twice I finally was able to get a little sleep. Day one of hiking was really magical and we were blessed with beautiful clear skies.

 

 

 

No comments:

Audrey's Dance Recital

 How do you win the hearts of all the Brown's? Have the cutest niece ever perform in a dance recital. It was so fun to watch Audreys lit...