Brownie Updates

Brownie Updates
this is the life

Friday, April 12, 2019

Headed back to Avalon

We woke up early again on our last day because we wanted to have time to eat and shop in Avalon before we caught the ferry at 6:45pm. It had rained all night so it was good to get up and try to dry out our tents a little. They were soaked. So annoying to have that on the last night. Oh well. We all woke up pretty early on our own so we were not in a big hurry. We started hiking around 8am. The morning started off beautiful but wet, not raining wet just wet from all the rain so our pants from the knees down were soaked.

First picture of the day.
 A couple miles into our hike we ran into the road. At this point there were two hiking options. Hike the road to Avalon, less mileage and not as steep, or hike the trail, more miles and lots of up and down. Amber and Jacklyn both had awful blisters so they opted to take the road and Aaron and I continued on the trail. We saw each other a couple of times the first hour or so and then they really went in opposite directions. If you look close in this picture you can see Amber and Jacklyn on the road:)
Aaron and I hiked fast and hard. My feet were actually so DONE this entire day. I was pretty miserable the last couple of hours. The end of a long week and I just wanted to sit down. It makes it worse when you can see the end destination and know you still have miles of hiking left. UGH!!!
We finally made it to Avalon and met up with Amber and Jacklyn. Hopefully they hadn't been waiting too long. The final stats for the day were we hiked 11.02 miles, 4:16.26 hiking time, with an average 23'15 minute per mile pace. We lost in elevation so my watch didn't give me the elevation stat.

First order of business in Avalon was to ditch the bags and get some food.
We ate pizza and then we hung out on the main road in Avalon. We took turns shopping and watching the backpacks. It was a very low key afternoon. We also got some pictures.

Always happiest when you know you are finished:)

Group shot.
 I liked our group. The trip seemed to work out well. Most of us got out of our hiking shoes ASAP.

 Aaron and Jacklyn were nice enough to put their packs back on and take pictures on the pier with me. I could not resist the bright colors.
Hey I know those guys they are kind of cute.
 I just love the paint on the pier.

 And really we didn't have anything better to do.
And the last shot of my pack
 We got some ice cream, walked out to Lovers Cove, and then just waited for the ferry. It was a beautiful evening.
 Last group shots of the trip.
 Finally time to board.
 Overall for the week my apple watch said I hiked 50.46 miles in 5 days. That is the most I have ever hiked in one trip. It was also the longest backpacking trip I have ever done. Overall I really enjoyed it. It was nice that they had some kind of bathroom in every campsite. Most of the campsite also had out door showers. It was awesome to be able to buy food at Two Harbors and the airport so we could pack a little less. April was the perfect time to go to Catalina. I used every single thing I packed which was great. My only complaint was that it was kind of expensive. When you consider travel from Utah to LA and back, parking at the port, ferry tickets and then expensive camping fees it was not cheap, but it was worth it to do once. I am grateful I know a few crazy people who like to adventure.

We got back to the port at 8:30. Said our goodbyes to Aaron and Jacklyn and them Amber and I drove to Las Vegas. I feel like we made it to Vegas a little afer 1am. Thanks to the podcast Crime Junkies for keeping us awake! Katie and Parley waited up for me, so nice. We visited and I took an amazing shower. Finally crawled in bed and slept like a champ.

General Conference started on Saturday the 6th. I watched the first session with Katie. Then we hot tubbed one last time before I had to leave. Amber and I tried to catch the afternoon session while driving. It was hit and miss due to reception. we made it home around 7pm and I was able to do laundry and put away all my CRAP before I went to bed.

Nastiest pile of dirty clothes EVER!
What a fun adventure!












No comments:

Audrey's Dance Recital

 How do you win the hearts of all the Brown's? Have the cutest niece ever perform in a dance recital. It was so fun to watch Audreys lit...