Brownie Updates

Brownie Updates
this is the life

Friday, April 12, 2019

Parsons Landing to Starlight Beach and then back to Two Harbors

We woke up with the sun and we were all feeling a little tired from all the up and down the day before. There is always an adjustment period when you are backpacking. The pack is heavy and no matter how much you hike and how good of shape you are in it is always hard the first couple of days.

Day 2 - Tuesday was to be our longest hiking day. We had an out and back hike to Starlight beach without the heavy packs and then we had to hike back to two harbors. After breakfast Aaron and Jacklyn opted out of going to Starlight beach so Amber and I took off. The sun was barely starting to peak into our camp.
It was a gorgeous morning. Amber hiked with me for two miles and then headed back to camp. I was stubborn, meaning I really wanted to see Starlight beach, so I continued on my own. It was such a beautiful day and I was hiking as fast as my body could move. I was breathing so hard and hiking fast. It felt amazing.
 Starlight beach was very rugged. Since I was alone I did not scramble down to the shore.
 The end of Catalina Island.
 I was glad I went. The views were amazing the entire hike.
On the hike there was a point where the road split and both roads met up again. I took the high road there and the lower road on the way back. That lower road was KILLER! It was so steep and so many ups and downs. It is interesting how when you are hike from a long ways away you can't really tell what the terrain is like. It was steep and a great workout. My stats for the morning hike were 9.24 miles, 2,181 ft of elevation gained, and my average mile pace was 22'09 minutes per mile. Total time was 3:24.50. I got back just in time for lunch and I was starving.

We ate a quick lunch, packed up camp and then started our trek back to Two Harbors. The nice thing about this trek was that it was pretty flat. Unfortunately we were hiking during the hottest part of the day again, but it wasn't crazy so that was a relief. I was super tired on this part of the hike. The morning hike was catching up to me. We also had our packs on and day 2 with a pack is always terrible!

There was a lot of beauty to enjoy.
 We took breaks in the middle of the road. It was hot. Also my first group picture I got better at taking group photos as the trip continued.
The sun was really hot.
 Getting so close to being done. My feet were killing. The flat is almost worse on my feet.
 So many selfies!
 We finally made it back to Two Harbors. We ended up hiking exactly 8 miles, gaining 412 ft of elevation, hiking for 2:53.43 and hiking at a 21'43 minute per mile pace (overall time was more because I stopped my watch when we took breaks). We actually hiked fast, but it was very flat. We got to two harbors and rested at the little diner. We ate and charged our phones before heading to our campground. Just as the sun was starting to set we made our way to camp. The flowers were so pretty.
 I was tired and could not wait to have the pack off.
This campground was on a little bluff right above the beach. It was a pretty small space, which was annoying, but we survived.
Watching another sunset on a beach = great life.
 We were able to have another fire but the rain forced us to bed pretty early. I was also very tired. Day 2 was a success.







No comments:

Audrey's Dance Recital

 How do you win the hearts of all the Brown's? Have the cutest niece ever perform in a dance recital. It was so fun to watch Audreys lit...