Brownie Updates

Brownie Updates
this is the life

Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Red Castle Lakes

 School started and life has been exhausting. We have to wear masks. They aren't horrible just annoying.

We started teacher meetings August 14th. We had two very long days of meetings. Friday after a long day of meetings Amber and I headed out for a quick backpacking trip. I was exhausted and questioning all my life choices Friday before we left, but I had a great time and in the end I recovered and was fine before school started. 

We got into the China Meadows Trailhead close to 8pm and started hiking. We hiked for one hour before stopping for the night. It was dark and cold when we stopped. We ended up having a very cold night in the high Uintas. I should have stolen Moki's blanket but it just didn't seem right!?

Saturday we hiked 14 miles round trip to Red Castle Lake. There is not very much elevation gain and we just had day hikes so we hiked pretty fast. It was really hot in the day time despite how cold it had been at night. It was a nice day and not too crowded on the trail.

You are in the forest for a lot of the hike. It is always great when you get the first views of your destination. 

 

 

 We hiked up to the lower lake and spent sometime on the shore.

 Moki laid in the water for a bit it was so funny. then she swam and ran around. Amber and I put our feet in the water. It felt great! 

Amber and I managed to get one picture togather as we were leaving the lake. We have not been great at this recently:(

We got back to camp pretty early. We realized we had a long time before dark. We discussed are options and realized we definitely had enough time to get home on Saturday night. All of a sudden sleeping in our own beds at home sounded amazing. We decided to pack up and hike the last three miles out to our car. We ended up hiking those three miles pretty fast and getting to our car in just over an hour. It was a little crazy but awesome. I got my camera out for the hike back to the car.


Oh I forgot to mention Moki did not want to hike anymore:) After our 14 miles she crashed in the shade by a tree. When it was time to go she looked at my like I was crazy and literally just kept laying there. She did not even move a little muscle when I said it was time to go. It was seriously the funniest thing. Finally on the third time asking her to get up she complied. She was hot and tired, however 5 minutes later she was chasing a squirrel. She is crazy. She looks so cute with her backpack on!

It was a really nice evening on the hike out. The temperature dropped and it was quite enjoyable.



It is always good to start to see the big signs. Then you know you are getting close to the cars!

We stopped and had dinner in Evanston and then drove home. We got home around 10:30. It was so nice to sleep in my own bed. I dumped all my stuff in the guest room, shut the door and left it for a week. I didn't clean it up until the following weekend. Life is like that sometimes. I was also glad we got home Saturday because I had in person church on Sunday and it was nice to be able to attend. I slept all afternoon Sunday. My legs were pretty tired. 17 miles is a lot even with very little elevation. I did sleep too much though. I could not fall asleep Sunday night. I should not have made that mistake but at the time it felt so good. I am glad we snuck in this little backpacking trip.







No comments:

Audrey's Dance Recital

 How do you win the hearts of all the Brown's? Have the cutest niece ever perform in a dance recital. It was so fun to watch Audreys lit...