Brownie Updates

Brownie Updates
this is the life

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Apparently I am unpatriotic??

This year as football season neared I had an intense mental and emotional battle as to whether or not I should buy season tickets. Here are some of the pros: BYU football games are amazing and there is no feeling equal to walking into Lavell Edwards stadium with 65,000 other die hards, something to look forward to every other Saturday, no more Thursday night games, lets be honest we all knew the COUGARS had great potential for this year, and lastly I better be done with my thesis by next fall so it was my last opportunity to buy student tickets.

The cons: you get nothing done on Saturday because you are at the game for a really long time, I knew I would be overwhelmed with my stats class, I now have a home that requires cleaning (I don't clean during the week I am way to tired after work), and the past few years I have sat through to a number of freezing football games.

Well after weighing the pros and cons I decided not to purchase tickets. I can watch the game at home and clean and do homework while the game is on. Well this Saturday I went to Wal-mart during the first quarter and I have now been accused of being unpatriotic. I am not quite sure what BYU and patriotism have to do with one another. I still love the cougars. They take all my tuition money, but I am loyal. So below is a picture of me and Erica at a BYU game 2 years ago. I still love the cougs but now I can get ready for Sunday and watch the game at the same time!

8 comments:

Mikila said...

I'll be the first to write and say that patriotism is love for one's country and what would this country be without BYU other than a waste of space. If anyone wants to argue with me on that they can talk to my father who will be happy to slap a knot on their head or call them a bloomin idiot! Woman, you watched 1.5 quarters of a game and complained 90% of the time, I felt like I was in primary haha! We are going to a game when its snowing!

shauna said...

I see nothing wrong with your decision. What is it with BYU that everyone goes nuts over?? I know it's a good school but I am surprised at how committed to that institution people are. For example...my brother can never leave Utah now. Pacen and Camry would not be able to handle life without BYU down the street from them. Which is good, they will all strive for good grades to get into BYU. but it is funny.

You know that primary song that says "saturday is a special day. it is the day we get ready for sunday?" I have finally applied that to my life and do all my cleaning on saturday. I love it because I feel like my sunday is more of a "sabbath" when I have taken care of all the other things on saturday.

Big Mama said...

I have to agree with Shauna. Just ignore all the lame-o's out there. They're able to be so dedicated to the games because they have nothing better to do with their time. ;-) hehehe... I love the Yankees, oh how I love dem Yankees! But I've never even seen a home game... but that doesn't make me any less of a Yankees fan. I just have other priorities in life! Keep on doin' what you're doin'... you rock!

Parley and Katie Call said...

As much as I love BYU, I agree with you and SHauna. If you were to examine people who live outside of Provo, you would realize that most of us don't watch games in person, and the world still keeps turning. :) And I don't think that makes us any less loyal. I come from a long line of BYU fans. I'll tell you right now I did not go to every game in college, and I'm fine. I still go off on people who rag on BYU. (Have you ever noticed that it's the people who DIDN'T go to BYU that always bring up the argument? Hmmm, jealousy? I have met so many people here who hate BYU, It drives me nuts.) I mean, if people can do all their Sat. stuff and see the game, then great. They've got one leg up on me. I could not do it, mostly for practical/physical reasons. But when you live there, it may be different.

Angelee said...

You have my whole support in keeping Milika in check. Let me know what I can do to help. Give a girl a blog and she thinks she owns the place...man.

Anonymous said...

BYU is only a school for those who couldn't get into BUTTE!! My son Than, is obsessed with it and is turning his kids into nuts over it. When Sam and Pacen are trading insults(yes, Sam drops down to Pacen's level way too often), Pacen's ultimate insult to Sam is, "Sam, you're a Ute!!" It is pathetic.

jana said...

I think you should have capitalized on your last chance for student tickets and have no excuse not to be there every game! :)

Than and Erica said...

We are a BYU loving family, and I really had to debate whether or not to take our 2 week old to the game on Saturday. :) WE love it and would much rather do that than do yard work all day. Booorrriiiinnnngggg!

Audrey's Dance Recital

 How do you win the hearts of all the Brown's? Have the cutest niece ever perform in a dance recital. It was so fun to watch Audreys lit...