Brownie Updates

Brownie Updates
this is the life

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Too Much Reading, Too Little Sleep

I have been on a reading kick. I have just been reading two or three books a week on top of teaching, playing sports, coaching. I just finished this book last night (recommended by my uncle Lou):

It was so good. I stayed up until 2am finishing. Retarded. I have to watch myself very carefully today so that I am not grouchy with my students because I am tired. I should have still gotten 5 hours of sleep but I don't think I slept at all. The problem was that I couldn't stop thinking about this book. As well as my life.

Thinking about how blessed I am to live in America. How blessed I am that I almost always feel safe. That I know my family is safe. That I am a women and have endless opportunities. That I have a job. An education. I can worship as I please. That I have never felt like violence is a cure or an answer. I have never witnessed with my own eyes any real violence or acts of hatred.

The book is fiction but it is based on things that really are happening. This book was another reminder to me of REAL problems happening all over the world. And of course how blessed I am.

4 comments:

Nancy Webb said...

Do you have the book or is it at the library? I want to read it. I will call you

Ashleigh said...

Are you signed up on goodreads?? If you are let me know and we'll have to be friends so I can see all the books that you are reading. I've been reading a lot lately for my own pleasure which isn't good because I'm teaching and in grad school and play intramurals (yes I'm on a football team and miss you're wonderful qb skills and plays) and basically shouldn't read for fun, but I do anyway. I'll have to check this book on my list!!

Mikila said...

Hahaha. I tried you convert you into staying up late but was only successful one time :) Thanks for the book recommendation, it sounds good. By the way, I'm excited to see you when you come.

Parley and Katie Call said...

Sounds like a good book. You should read Daniel Silva, he's my favorite.

Audrey's Dance Recital

 How do you win the hearts of all the Brown's? Have the cutest niece ever perform in a dance recital. It was so fun to watch Audreys lit...