Brownie Updates

Brownie Updates
this is the life

Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Convalescing

It has been such a long roller coaster with my dad. He had heart surgery on November 3rd. He walked himself into the hospital, and he is still not home!!!! This has been hard and long and blah, even more so for my mom. It's so weird how my emotions are all over the spectrum in a day, hour, or even in minutes. Watching your parents suffer is horrible and hard. I just want to jump to the part where he comes home, but right now we are still in the middle of the battle.
 
Lucky for him he has lots of people that love him and are sacrificing tons to help him. And he is doing better. So much better. It just feels so slow. 
 
Yesterday he wheeled himself everywhere he went, which was huge. His legs just aren't getting strong fast. He is bummed about that and so am I but he doesn't complain. He goes to physical therapy and works so hard. So hard that sometimes he throws up, or gets bloody noses, or starts bleeding excessively out of an open wound. It is like I cheer and cry for him all at the same time. 

My mom is finishing work so I have been visiting the care center everyday. I spend a lot of time there because the truth is, you get better care when your family is there advocating for you. I have had to confront people way more than I like too. It is uncomfortable for me but I want my dad to have the best care. It is good for me to have to do that because I hate it. 

My dad still loves to play games. His mind is sharp but he processes things more slowly. He doesn't joke around as much. He also really never complains. And never asks for pain medication. He still won't eat cooked vegetables. He asks for fried chicken everyday, which is hilarious because he never had it that often before. No, we don't give in that often. After almost two weeks of being here I did give in today and he was so happy.

I am so happy I am available to help this summer. It is hard and long and frustrating but I feel so blessed that my situation allows it. I love spending time with him even in these circumstances. 
 
 I worry that I work him too hard so sometimes I let him take a nap or relax in bed. He still has a long road ahead of him and I am sure there will be lots of bumps along the way, I am grateful he is still here walking down the path of life with us, even through its a very hard path for him right now. 

No comments:

Audrey's Dance Recital

 How do you win the hearts of all the Brown's? Have the cutest niece ever perform in a dance recital. It was so fun to watch Audreys lit...