Brownie Updates

Brownie Updates
this is the life

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Week In Review

Grad school has begun for the summer. I am not really excited about being in school but I am really happy that this is my last semester of class. I have class Monday through Thursday. So far so good. I am working on getting back into the habbit of reading research and understanding it. Understanding it being the key word. It is a skill I have had to learn and I have had to reteach myself this week because I kind of forgot in my three months off. Somehow in between my classes and studying I have had a lot of time to still do the things I love BIKE, HIKE, AND KAYAK!!!!
My goal for the summer is to bike 100 miles a week on my road bike. The first four weeks of summer I have been able to accomplish this goal so that has been good. I am now also using my mountain bike for transportation, whenever possible. It has been really good, other then I am adjusting to going to class sweaty. Not my favorite thing to do but I rationalize it because all the guys are married and GAS is so expensive I need to find ways to conserve. The good thing is that I am getting in much better biking shape. My legs were a lot more sore this week because of all the mountain biking miles on top of the road biking miles.

I have also squeezed in a little hiking. I have a few backpacking trips planned for later on in the summer so now is the time to get those muscles ready for the miles they will need to endure. The picture up above is me, Amber Ellis, Mattie Smith, and Shaanta Kamai. We hiked the Y at nine pm last night. It was actually cool and it was really fun. The Y is the fall back hike becasue you can do it really fast but it is steep and intense so it keeps your heart rate up.

Last but not least some kayaking time has been squeezed in. You can see below the beautiful beaches in Utah. Very rocky, weedy, and full of ticks (we checked ourselves afterwards). I told Shaanta who needs Hawaii when you have the amazing beaches in Utah. We headed up to Deer Creek Saturday afternoon and spent some time in the sun kayaking and swimming. The funny thing was this little ten year old girl asked if she could try my Kayaks and I was like um let me talk to your parents first. So her Dad said it was fine and this 10 year old girl took over the kayak it was hilarious. She let all of her cousins try it out and she taught them everything we had taught her about the kayaks and then she bossed them all around. It was really funny to watch. Sadly it reminded me a little of myself when I was little and I just took charge and bossed my brothers around. Good Times. I was glad they used them and enjoyed them because I figure they might as well get used and we were pretty much done kayaking by that point. So that is pretty much my week in review: school and playing that is how I spend my time.


3 comments:

ThunderDan said...

I must admit that I too remembered the days of LaNell bossing every one around with this story, very Saaaad days.

Angelee said...

And, I can't believe I'm going to be 28 this summer. Thanks for reminding me!!!

Nancy Webb said...

Sounds like a good week LaNell. I wished I had more play time. Maybe I could come and Kayak with you. It only takes about 20 min for me to get tired but it would be good for me. I am still counting my points and I did loose wome weight last week. Keep up the good work, grades and of course miles.

Audrey's Dance Recital

 How do you win the hearts of all the Brown's? Have the cutest niece ever perform in a dance recital. It was so fun to watch Audreys lit...