Brownie Updates

Brownie Updates
this is the life

Sunday, August 4, 2013

My Bucket List

Hiking the NaPali coast has been on my list for a few years. I was so excited to hike some of it. To do the whole thing you have to have permits and backpack it. I actually hope to do that one day, but for now I was very excited and really enjoyed just hiking part of it.

Day 7 started with a trip to the airport. Katie headed home because she was leaving for DC a couple hours after she got in Salt Lake. After we dropped her off we headed to the trail head at Ke'e Beach. Without a permit we could hike 2 miles in to Hanakapi'ai Beach. There people with a permit can continue on the coast trail. Those without a permit can go home or hike an additional two miles up the canyon to Hanakapi'ai Falls. We had to hike 1/2 mile to the trailhead and then we went all the way to the Falls. It was a great hiking day with gorgeous scenery.
 The pictures are all so similar but I just love this coast.
 The colors are indescribable.

 I love the sign on the tree that tallies all the deaths. We didn't swim in the water at the beach. No one else was swimming and so we just dipped our feet in.


















Then we headed to the falls. This is the day I went from hiking in a skirt to just hiking in my swimsuit. YIKES!

On the way to the falls we saw bamboo.
 The falls were really pretty and they had an awesome swimming hole at the bottom. It was very refreshing after 4 and 1/2 miles of hiking.

On the way back I took some panoramas. It is so frustrating that you can't capture all that your eyes see.

 It was so bright out. The waves crashing on the shore just kind of blur the picture
 It was really hot on the way out.
 I was happy though!
 Please can I go back?


















After we finished hiking we were exhausted. So we obviously need some shaved ice before we snorkeled.
 And I needed to drink from a coconut
 It wasn't my favorite but I did need to try it. Then we headed to the Tunnels to snorkel. We were told by many that it is the best snorkeling on Kauai.
 There were tons of fish, and lots of variety
 I loved the florescent kelp or seaweed, whatever it is I liked it
 The problem was that by the time we started snorkeling I was exhausted. We had been so busy. It was the end of the trip and it was all catching up on me.
 I am glad we stopped but we didn't stay long. Just checked it out for 30-60 minutes and then went to find real food. We ended the night on Taco Bell and cheesecake from Safeway. Not too shabby.






1 comment:

Unknown said...

Just fyi: you technically can hike the na pali without a permit (like i did) but i don't recommend it. we had to literally run away the next morning when the helicopter was landing to check. also, love that you got a pic of the sign about how many people have died - i always tell people about that pic, bit i didn't take one!

Audrey's Dance Recital

 How do you win the hearts of all the Brown's? Have the cutest niece ever perform in a dance recital. It was so fun to watch Audreys lit...