Brownie Updates

Brownie Updates
this is the life

Friday, July 18, 2014

And then the trip ended . . . . . . a little earlier than planned

Like I mentioned in my last post I was feeling great. Once we got back on the coast I was really enjoying myself. Yes there were hills, I was tired, the days were long but the cool temperatures and amazing scenery seemed to make it all ok for me. So I have no idea what happened in the early morning hours of July 5th. I think it was around 2am. I was in my tent, a little uncomfortable on my side (you know camping problems), and so I did what I had been doing all week long, I rolled over. And in that roll my world went crazy. Everything began to spin. Not a little but a lot. I tried rolling back over, I laid on my back, I sat up (really bad idea), I closed my eyes. Nothing made the world stop spinning. I found the most relief flat on my back with my eyes open. Just watching my tent spin in circles. As daylight approached I really had to go the bathroom but there was no way I was going to sit up again. Between 7 and 8 Amber mentioned that we should get going and I told her my dilemma. At this point I forced myself up and to the bathroom. What would make the day worse, peeing my bed, so off to the bathroom it was. I could not walk straight. It took a lot of focus. When I sat down on the toilet I was hit with a massive wave of nausea. I made it back to camp. Threw up all my carrots from the night before and climbed back in my tent.
 Luckily Amber had some Dramamine that I took and finally was able to sleep a little. She went to town and charged our phones and I just slept. She came back in what felt like minutes but had been hours. I felt a little better. I went to the bathroom. We discussed our options. We had no flexibility in our schedule. She had a plane to catch on Monday. We had to either get on our bikes or call it quits. I started packing up my gear and as I did I realized there was no way I could bike 60 miles, like no possible way. I was so bummed and sad. At that point I realized I had to call my parents. It was super emotional for me. Not because I was sick but I was so disappointed. We had come so far. I was so looking forward to riding across the golden gate bridge. It was a huge let down to what had been a great adventure. I was devastated and so naturally I started bawling when I heard my Mom's voice. Luckily my parents were close and able to provide a rescue, in a few hours.

We got kicked out of our campsite. Lots of people wanted in and we were not staying another night so we got the boot. We finished packing up and by some miracle I rode 2 miles into town to wait for my parents. Of course this was the coldest day yet and it was freezing as we hunkered down outside of the grocery store. Our new home for 5 hours. Feeling miserable is bad enough feeling miserable and not being able to lay down or get comfortable is awful. It was a long day, but my parents made it and we drove back to Oroville for the night. Since that day everyday has been a little better. I still feel a little weird but I can function. Every time I think about not riding across the bridge I get a little angry on the inside.

So here our the stats:
6 days on bikes
340.16 miles (plus a few where I didn't turn on my GPS)
15, 412 calories burned
20,674 ft of elevation gain (5,098 was the most in one day)
28 hours spent biking

Here were the pros in my opinion:
  • Meeting lots of other people (the English brothers, the German, the college boys, the couple). All biking lots of miles. One of the college boys even offered me a beer. I was so touched:) Most of the people we met will be biking for 2-3 months. Made me feel like our trip was wimpy.  I have no idea how non-teachers can bike for an entire summer. I really enjoyed listening to their stories and hearing about their adventures.
  • Feeling like I was in good biking shape. I am sure I have lost it by now but I felt great towards the end of the week. As I downloaded all my data I realized my heart rate was a little lower everyday as my fitness increased. The last day had the most climbing but my average heart rate was the least.
  • I love seeing the world by bike. You just have more time to soak it all in. This was a very impressive route to bike.
  • Having a mid-week break. That was truly amazing and helped re-energize me for the rest of the week.
  • Improving the time it takes to set up and take down camp. We got really fast by the end of our journey.
  • Drinking a Dr. Pepper every single afternoon and not feeling bad. It is the only thing that sounded good and I needed those calories.
  • Realizing that I would do it again. Hopefully in another country someday!
  • My touring bike investment was well worth it. I loved the bike and I didn't have any problems with my gear. So glad I talked to some people and read lots of reviews before deciding what to do.
Here were some of the cons:
  • Our food choices were very limited because we didn't bring a stove. If I were to do it again I think I would consider bringing a stove. Eating from gas stations got old. I ate junk and I could feel that.
  • Possibly stick to 50-60 miles a day. The 70 mile days were just really long.
  • Not enough hot tubs on the route.
  • Very little shoulder on the road for this route. Something less traveled by car would be great.
  • I hardly ate any vegetables at all. I actually really missed having them in my diet.
  • I think biking less miles but adding some hiking each day would be amazing, if the route allowed it.
  • Visiting an area that I was familiar with. Good for a first timer but I am longing to go somewhere new.
I feel like I need to post some feelings I had leading up to this adventure. My heart was set on Biking from Astoria, Oregon to Coos Bay, Oregon. That was what I really wanted to do. I had made arrangements with my parents and that was the plan but I seriously did not feel good about it. I kept thinking that it was because I was asking my parents to drive so far but now I think it was impressions to keep me close to home. There were no indicators that I would have any issues with my health at all. That was so far from my concerns. Yet I believe Heavenly Father knows me better than I do. He can see the future. I really believe he kept prompting me to stay closer to home knowing how this trip would end. I was upset for days as I changed the route. I kept trying to go up into Oregon but it just wasn't right. I believe it was revelation that kept us closer to home and I will forever be grateful for that. I know His hand is in my life on a daily basis and it's just better that way.

No comments:

Audrey's Dance Recital

 How do you win the hearts of all the Brown's? Have the cutest niece ever perform in a dance recital. It was so fun to watch Audreys lit...