Brownie Updates

Brownie Updates
this is the life

Friday, July 18, 2014

Exploring Yosemite Valley

Monday night right before midnight I got the email that we had permits to hike half dome on Wednesday. At this point I was more terrified than excited. It was unfortunate because I have wanted to hike Half Dome for a long time but I just didn't feel good. I am so glad we had a days notice because we were able to plan Tuesday out and make sure we had energy for Wednesday. Tuesday started off waiting in line to secure our campsite for two more nights. Since we arrived after hours we had to do this. It wasn't a big deal it just took up precious morning hours where it is still cool enough to hike. Once that was taken care of we packed our bags for the day and headed out.

So while Amber and I were at Jan and Lou's she read in backpacker magazine about the hike to Bridal Veil Falls in Yosemite, the intriging part of the article is what the Native people believed. Wikipedia also confirms what the article said:

The Ahwahneechee tribe believed that Bridalveil Fall was home to a vengeful spirit named Pohono which guarded the entrance to the valley, and that those leaving the valley must not look directly into the waterfall lest they be cursed. They also believed that inhaling the mist of Bridalveil Fall would improve one's chances of marriage.

Since Aaron and I are both single this was a must do. It was our first little adventure in Yosemite Valley. We took the more scenic hiking route. It is all pretty flat but we didn't realize you could just drive and hike on a paved path. Lesson learned. We got to the base of the falls and there was an entire field of boulders we had to cross to inhale the mists. (Picture is from the waterfall looking down at where we came from)
 Aaron was like well we have to go. Remember I didn't feel well. Climbing on boulders seemed like a really bad idea, really bad. I pretty much stepped on a rock and then fell until I caught myself with my arms. It was slow going and my head was spinning. Sacrifices must be made for some things people!!! And I can report that I did inhale those mists and it was really pretty. The waterfall didn't have much water flowing from it because it is summer so we got to get pretty close.
 Nice sweaty back, the joys of hiking with a backpack.
 Not a lot of water coming off those falls. I look like I might fall in. Balance was still a little off.
 The pool at the base of the falls was beautiful. On a warmer morning I would have swam, well if I had my suit on. And seriously who wears a shirt that says, "Everything I do I do it big."

After our morning hike we found a spot to enjoy lunch. After lunch we were looking up what to do next and I realized I needed a nap. At this point I hadn't really slept for three nights and so we headed back to camp and I crashed until it was too hot to sleep. Then we decided to go for a swim and explore the valley on our bikes. So glad we brought my parents cruiser bikes. They were perfect for getting around the valley. We swam in the river. It was gorgeous.
Pictures just don't do the park justice. It is so beautiful it is hard to capture all you see with a picture.
 These two are kind of the same but I love them both.
We enjoyed time in the village. There is an art gallery, a museum, a store, and food. A direct quote from Aaron, "LaNell I am always hungry. Anytime you are hungry you should just assume I have been hungry since the last time we ate." Ok, let's eat some food then!

After dinner we hiked to Lower Yosemite Falls and then started on the path to the upper falls. We knew that was a really long hike so we had a turn around time so we didn't run out of daylight. We also didn't want to be sore for half dome.

The Lower Falls
 On our way to the upper falls
 Me pondering all the great things in life. Man what a view.
It was funny on our little hike how many people were so concerned that we were starting a hike so late at night. Everyone tried to talk us out of going all the way up. We were prepared even if it got dark but there many concerned citizens. After our hike we headed back to camp and prepared everything we needed for half dome. We wanted to wake up at 5am and be ready to roll.

No comments:

Audrey's Dance Recital

 How do you win the hearts of all the Brown's? Have the cutest niece ever perform in a dance recital. It was so fun to watch Audreys lit...