Brownie Updates

Brownie Updates
this is the life

Saturday, July 31, 2021

Killimanjaro Day 1: Machame Gate to Machame Camp

 We got up to an alarm so we could shower and have breakfast before we left for our hike. The porters, guides, and cook met us on a bus at our hotel. Here we are with all our stuff.

We hopped on and we were off on this crazy adventure. It was about an hour bus ride and I was starting to feel a little nervous. What did I get myself into? At this point there is no turning back but it was/is a little scary.


We made it to the Machame gate where we ate an early lunch, used the restroom, put on our rain gear and took some pictures before we started our trek.



I am smiling but I am also reminding myself that I am a little bit of a crazy person. The rain didn't help. I hate hiking in the rain. It was wet and chilly, bad way to start an adventure.

From the get go our guide was very strict about hiking slow. It was so annoying and so so so slow. That was really hard on the first day. We were hiking 6.8 miles and going from 5,900 ft to 9,900 ft. It was long and slow as we stayed behind our guides.

We were hiking through the African rain forest.
The real MNP's are the porters. They carry everything to make sure the trip is as easy as possible for all of the tourists who visit their country. I am so grateful for them. They carry a very heavy load and hike very fast. It is hard work but a decent job in Tanzania.
There were so many different and cool trees in Africa.

We knew we were at camp when we saw the sign. Every camp is marked by these fun signs. We were wet and tired and happy to be done for the day.



It was fun to get to camp and see all the other tents. This picture doesn't do it justice but there were tents everywhere.



When you arrive in camp your tent is set up, your belongings on your bed mat, a porter takes your day pack, hot drinks are waiting in the mess tent along with a snack. It's nice to get to camp and not have to do anything but relax.

Popcorn and hot chocolate were ready for us in the mess tent.


Day one was a success. I didn't love hiking wet all day but I survived. I went to bed early because once the sun went down it got cold fast and I was exhausted. My sleeping bag, known as the cloud, was waiting for me. I love that thing and it worked all it's magic on this trip!






No comments:

Audrey's Dance Recital

 How do you win the hearts of all the Brown's? Have the cutest niece ever perform in a dance recital. It was so fun to watch Audreys lit...