Brownie Updates

Brownie Updates
this is the life

Monday, July 12, 2021

Mt. Nebo, The North Summit

 I have been running and hiking with Jacquie Cater in the morning before work for years. We switched to hiking a few years ago, I couldn't keep up with her running. It has been so fun and such a blessing in my life. Last year during COVID it was especially important for me as so many other relationships were put on hold because gathering was dangerous. We still felt like we could hike and I was sooooo grateful. More recently her husband Eric has joined us for our morning hikes. It has been great. We decided to do some longer hikes together on weekends at some point. On Saturday July 10th we hiked Mt. Nebo.

I thought I had hiked MT. Nebo before in 2008. I actually looked back at my blog post about the hike to remind myself of what to expect. In 2008 I wasn't hiking much. Just a few hikes a year. I didn't have Moki yet so I wasn't hiking nearly as much as I am now. Amber Ellis, Julianne Craft and I hiked it together. All I remember from the hike is how steep it was coming down and how sore I was. I was sore for a week. All the downhill muscles were not happy with me:). I assumed there was only one Mt. Nebo hike and thought we did it.

On Saturday I learned I was wrong. We actually did the South Summit in 2008. The beginning of the hike was similar to what I remembered but as soon as we started going uphill I knew it was a different hike. The main difference was there were no switchbacks on the Nebo hike I just completed. You actually go straight up and then straight down. It was still very very steep but it was different. I knew for sure it was different when we got to the saddle. The rock on the peak was a different color and the ridge of the saddle was very sketchy. I wasn't too scared but someone that doesn't like hikes would not want to do this hike. It was crazy enough that I knew it was now a different hike. I had to come home and research what I did in 2008 because I was so confused. Turns out tehre are three peaks on Mt. Nebo. In 2008 I did the South Summit, a little shorter in height than the north summit. You approach the mountain from Andrews Ridge. In 2019 I did the north summit and started at monument trailhead. This time I was hiking in July instead of September and it was beautiful. The flowers were out in full bloom. It ended up being a perfect day for a long mountain hike.

A beatiful Saturday morning.

 The first 2 miles of the hike are pretty easy. At mile 2 you go up a very steep section. There are no switchbacks and so it is actually straight up to a ridge. I knew as we went up that coming down that was going to be rough. Then you walk on a beautiful ridge for a mile or so before you get a look at the false summit. Pictures do not do it justice. It was straight up to get to the false summit. Probably a mile or so of straight up! I realize in the picture it looks like a gradual little climb. Pictured don't tell the entire truth!!!

After getting to the false summit you walk along the very steep saddle to summit. There are a million different paths so it is kind of tricky. It is also a mix of hiking/climbing.

Somewhere along the saddle looking towards the summit.

We rested at one point to let  some hikers past and watching them climb made me so nervous. They were making it look very hard. We actually talked about if we should keep going after watching them. I am so glad we did. It was not as hard as they made it look.

The summit!!! We did it.

Moki is the best little hiker. I made her carry her own water:)

Summits are for selfies:)

Another selfie on the way down with the summit in the background.

Moki and Koda were pretty tired on the way back. We stopped to get our poles out for the steep sections on the way back. Moki just laid down on the uncomfortable rocks and watched us.

I love adventuring with my dog. She is my favorite outdoor buddy.
It was a long day but so worth it. Going down took just as long as going up because it was so steep. I was so thankful I had hiking poles they saved me from falling numerous times. We hiked for just over 6 hours. I think with breaks and stopping on top the entire thing was just under 8 hours. It was 10.86 miles, and an elevation gain of 3,719ft. I was grateful to not be as sore as I was in 2008. All the hiking I do now has paid off. My calves were the only thing a little sore. Oddly enough they are sore to the touch but not sore when I move. Weird? It was fun to get in a good long hike before I leave for Africa.


No comments:

Audrey's Dance Recital

 How do you win the hearts of all the Brown's? Have the cutest niece ever perform in a dance recital. It was so fun to watch Audreys lit...