Brownie Updates

Brownie Updates
this is the life

Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Halloween


This is my least favorite holiday of the entire year. There are a number of reasons I dislike it.
1. Who came up with this Holiday???
2. Why do we have to give all the neighboor kids candy, as a physical educator this is difficult for me?
3. I absolutely hate dressing up.
4. On Halloween all of a sudden it becomes legal to dress like a skank and act really crazy.
5. I hate pumpkin carving, although I may be turning over a new leaf here because thanks to Ben and Jana I had a good pumpkin carving experience this year.
6. Is it really safe? There are so many horror stories.
7. I hate how people try to decorate their house and yard all creepy. I like the nice, cute decorations but the freaky stuff is a little overboard.
8. It always starts the time when I slowly gain weight until the spring, hoping to change that this winter.
9. Kids trick or treat way past the appropriate age, I believe junior high school is even stretching it,
10. The reason I most despise Halloween is that I hear all day long why do we have to dress down on a holiday, it is not fair and every other complaint you can imagine.
I almost took the day off this year just because I hate dealing with it. But then I though that would be mean to stick it to a substitute like that. For all of you that love the holiday have a great day. I will go to Michelle's party which I am sure will be amazing so that will be FUN!!

4 comments:

Angelee said...

Lan~ don't be such a stick in the mud. I agree, I don't like creepy yards, but I do love the rest of Halloween.

shauna said...

I TOTALLY agree with you on #4. But I do have the answer to #1. This started as a Celtic tradition. It was celebrating the dead and their passing into the spirit world. They passed on November 1st, so the night before the people would celebrate to honor them, and guide them along on their way. It was retitled All Hallows Eve when Christianity came around. People still wanted to participate in it, however it had no doctrinal reasoning so it became All Hallows Eve. The creepy ghost/skeleton stuff was because it was for the dead, but was meant as an honorable thing. It came to America, and centuries later the tradition of handing out candy began because they wanted to make it a community event and not a scary thing. So now we have a nice mix of handing out candy in the community, creepy decorations that scare my kids, and drunk teenagers who destroy property and blame it on the dead spirits who are passing to the spirit world. Interesting stuff, though. I hate dressing up, too. But I LOVE having Weenie stew before trick or treating. Don't you think the little kids are cute when they are dressed up? We had a family at the ward party that did star wars. Their little 2 yr old was an ewok and she was so cute!! Anyway, Happy Halloween!

earlh75 said...

Didn't you like Halloween just even a little bit as a child???

Christmas is my favorite.

Parley and Katie Call said...

Girl, you need to come down here and have a REAL, fun Halloween party. Promise you may even change your mind. I'm not into the evil stuff either, but I do love dressing up...and any excuse to party and eat good food is alright by me.

And stop acting like you hate it. Remember the good ol' days at Ricks when we dressed up in makeshift costumes b/c we couldn't afford any (like when we wore my scrubs as nurses?)...we always had fun!

So there! :)

Audrey's Dance Recital

 How do you win the hearts of all the Brown's? Have the cutest niece ever perform in a dance recital. It was so fun to watch Audreys lit...