Brownie Updates

Brownie Updates
this is the life

Monday, August 17, 2015

Zermatt Day 2

One of the recommendations our guides gave us was to hike the Edelweiss  trail. This is an 11 mile loop that starts and ends in Zermatt. I didn't have a map so I did a six mile out and back. Definitely not as exciting as doing a loop but it was 12 miles of great hiking. I took a bazillion pictures and fell in love with Switzerland all over again.

The day started off rainy and wet. I headed out right after breakfast and the streets were empty.
I saw less than 10 people on the trail before I turned around 6 miles in. I love being able to enjoy the outdoors alone. I did see lots of cows though.

The bells they wear are insane.
 They have the best view though.
You can see the rain didn't stay long and it ended up being a gorgeous day. I took some selfies with my timer.
 I couldn't get enough of the Matterhorn.
 I got to look at it for the first 6 miles.
 The water color on our hikes was unreal.
 It was so breathtaking.
 I just really really enjoyed my morning.
 I had so much time to contemplate.
 I can't hike and not have my thoughts turn to God. The creator of this beautiful world.
 I contemplated my goals and desires.  How to be a better teacher and person?
 What I want to do if my righteous desires don't happen in this life? I am really trying to trust the Lord but it is not always easy.
 But I am one blessed lady and also a thankful one.
I contemplated the amazing human body. That mine works pretty well. I was thankful for all that I am able to do with this healthy body of mine.
 After my morning hike Virginia and I got lunch and then thought we would try out the laundry mat. That was a fail because they wanted 30 franks for us to do the laundry ourselves. I was like I have never felt so good about doing laundry by hand. Too expensive!
 So I marched my laundry back to the hotel.

The day was still young and so we decided to check out the Gornergorge. These first few pictures are on our way to the trail head.
 Another great shot of the Matterhorn.

 The Gornergorge is a huge gorge that goes through a very narrow canyon. A wooden path was built so you could walk through the gorge. It was really really cool. It was all starting to make sense why the river that runs through Zermatt is raging.




 It was a short and easy hike. A perfect addition to what I had done that morning.
 We both really enjoyed it.

A couple more shots from the day.
That night for dinner I had some delicious crepes. I figured I needed to eat crepes at least once on my trip. Ham, cheese, tomatoes, and spinach in the dinner crepe.
 Nutella and bananas in the dessert crepe. Both were excellent.
This year is the 150th year celebration of the 1st Matterhorn ascent. Because of that every night they lit up the route of the first ascent on the Matterhorn so you could see it. The first night in Zermatt it was too cloudy to see the lights. We got lucky on the second night and got a great view of the lights from our hotel balcony.
It was fun to be in town for this. I loved day 2 in Zermatt. It is the coolest little town. I would go back in a heartbeat.

No comments:

Audrey's Dance Recital

 How do you win the hearts of all the Brown's? Have the cutest niece ever perform in a dance recital. It was so fun to watch Audreys lit...