Brownie Updates

Brownie Updates
this is the life

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Zermatt Day 3

The last hike I wanted to do was up to Gornergrat. There is a lake close by called Riffelsee that allows you to take a reflection picture of the Matterhorn. In order to get to the lake I could hike or take the train. I was determined to hike up but knew I could always take the train down. I was warned that it was a very steep hike. Most people take the train and then hike down but really I prefer going up to down.

I started off early after breakfast. The day started off nice and sunny. I will say the trail was very very steep. Much more than I had anticipated. I was pretty much by myself the entire way up. The first views of the Matterhorn on this hike were some of my favorites for the whole trip.
If you still read my blog I am sure you are sick of seeing the same mountain over and over.
At one point I decided I needed to stop and try to take a jumping selfie in front of the Matterhorn. I truly didn't think it through all the way. I was at a high elevation, had on heavy boots, had been hiking for 14 days straight, and didn't even take off my backpack. I used the timer and it takes 10 pictures. The pictures really showed that it was with great effort that I got my jumping picture. Don't worry I won't put up all 10!
They really make me laugh. But I love them.
 After a few attempts I was exhausted. I didn't think about the effort required until I was done. I still had a lot of uphill left to go. I hiked for a long time and as the elevation got higher I really started to feel it in my legs. The last mile took a long time. I finally made it to Lake Riffelsee and the view was totally worth it. This one is a little before the lake.
 The reflection of the Monte Rose in the lake.
It was super windy and so the reflection pictures are not as cool as I was hoping.
 I really missed Moki on my trip. Am I really that person? The one that misses their dog. Apparently I am. It was harder in Switzerland because there were lots of dogs. Look at this cool sheep dog.
 The Matterhorn is just so cool. I decided not to pay 100 dollars and ride the ski lift up to the glacier. This hike got me up pretty high and it was free. I know I may only be in Switzerland once but $100 was just too expensive for me.
 I also took some panoramas.
They are all so similar but unique in their own way.
 I tried to capture just how many mountains there are.
 I was surrounded on all sides.
It really was worth the effort to get there. Six miles straight uphill.
 One last selfie before I caught the train.
 I rode the train down and it was great. It only cost half the price and I figured I had earned it. By the time I was back in Zermatt I was STARVING!!! So I did what they would expect an American tourist to do and got Mc. Donald's:)
It was fast and cheap compared to the other restaurants so that was a bonus. I loved Zermatt. I barely scratched the surface with the hikes I did. You could easily spend a week there and do a different hike everyday. Such a fun little place.




No comments:

Audrey's Dance Recital

 How do you win the hearts of all the Brown's? Have the cutest niece ever perform in a dance recital. It was so fun to watch Audreys lit...